Wednesday, September 17, 2008

who are these grisly green guys?

i love these guys. i have loved these guys since i was 18 years old. it was my senior year in high school & i would go to this art studio in downtown dickson regularly just to stare @ this piece of art. i really don't know why but i loved it. i never dreamed i would own it. i had no money & was getting ready to head to college the summer after i graduated. one day, out of the blue, drae pulled up in his old green isuzu trooper and pulled this glorious painting out of the back. he had saved up (from working late nights after school & weekends @ east hills restaurant) to get it for me. it was my "growing up & going to college" present from him. these green faces have always made my heart happy for all they remind me of... with one glance i'm taken back to that summer & the feelings of excitement at everything that lay ahead of me & the joy of falling in love with drae. now, having said that, no one else loves this painting like i do. my mother abhorred it. she said it was scary & devilish & couldn't understand why anyone would want to look @ it. i'm pretty sure all my sisters agreed. my college roommates thought it was weird & that i was weird for hanging it over my bed so i it would be the last thing i saw @ night & first thing i saw in the mornings. nonetheless, it has hung in every college dorm room & apartment i lived in and is now hanging in my bedroom in our home (on my side of the bed, of course). drason, too, has never really been that big of a fan. he has said "how about we take that picture down for a while- maybe replace it with something else? aren't you tired of that yet?" i have always said "no way" and have been perfectly content with being the only person alive who has ever loved this little piece of art......... until.......






livi drae.
this is my darling daughter sitting on our bed laughing @ these green guys. she LOVES them! every time she catches a glimpse of them she chuckles. now, this is a big deal because although she is a wonderfully happy baby she is stingy with her smiles. it takes a lot to elicit a big grim or belly laugh. but, these guys- they just sit and stare- and always seem to crack her up. she will sit on our bed ( i will hide in the bathroom to watch) & she will interact with them with her laughter & cooing as if they are real. i love this... she is my daughter... and although she looks like her dad... i've got some proof now that she's got some of her mom in her.


5 comments:

Grace and Fam said...

love it. whatever it takes for a sweet smile, right ?!
You have got to let me borrow that picture to put in Gracey's room for a minute and see what she does. Too funny!!

Courtney said...

can't believe i've never noticed that pic before. i know i haven't been in your room a million times but...that one is truly an eye catcher!

livi is just too precious! it's so fun to watch them start interacting! (even if it is with weird green guys!)

love ya'll- court

Emily Lavenue-Roberts & Chad Roberts said...

okay...when we first became roomies i did think the painting was a little weird. but, i must clarify for all of your friends that it really grew on me- just like you did! i began to love the painting too simply because it always reminded me of you and everytime i am in your house now, i love to look at it simply so it can take me back to the "college days" and having fun with my roomie! i knew livi had good taste...she's going to be just like her mama!

keLi said...

it's clear. it's clear. our children are growing up to love fine art and transcendentalist poetry. we are raising them right. LOVE the new pics of smiling livi.

Hattie said...

Cute! Cute! Cute! Little livi, that is! Now that painting.....Uh.....well, I'm with your mom on that!
Love ya,